Saturday, December 11, 2010

Kingdom warrior: Riley

So, what feels like a lifetime ago, I used to play in a metal band with some of my best friends. Along the way we met some pretty interesting people, some not so interesting people, but 1 person in particular has had an intense impact of my life. Now, I could talk about this guy for hours but I want to keep it short and I really want to urge others to reach out.

Our buddies had a band called Ashes of Augustine and we were constantly playing shows with them and had developed a solid relationship with all of them. One day I hopped onto myspace and saw that they had released some newly recorded jamz for all to hear so I turned my attention to their page to give it a thorough listening. I went to congratulate them on their new creation when I got the sudden urge to be silly. I think the comment I ended up making was something like "you guys are a bunch of boy lovers if I ever knew any ..." I immediately got text messages from half the guys and we started kidding around. Its always good to have friends that understand your humor, it they don't than it can be exhausting.

The next morning I woke up with a text message from the drummer, Joe. He had informed me that "ole Riley is on your case now" so I go on their myspace to see what was going on. Apparently, this kid had seen my comment and thought I was being serious and had made a rebuttal to it. I really didn't want to open up a full blown argument on their myspace so I just ignored it. Joe, being the peace keeper that he is, called Riley and told him that I am a good bro of theirs and that my comment was strictly humorous. I then got a message on my myspace that evening from Riley apologizing for the mix up. He commented on the bands, movies, etc that he and I had in common just from looking at my profile. But, what really surprised me was that he sent me a prayer that was a mile long. I had never had anyone do that and it really floored me. After viewing his profile I became aware of the fact that he is a paraplegic, he has been that way since birth. All the sudden, I remembered seeing him at random shows and how much he just got into the music ... all from the view of his wheelchair. I remember how much I wanted to meet him, which is weird for me because I don't typically seek people out. He was super anxious when I introduced myself because, from his assumptions about the people in that music scene, he thought I was going to beat him up. It actually took some time for me to gain his trust but it was worth every awkward moment. Riley is a boss of boss'!

Over the years he and I have had some pretty intense convos about faith, and doubts! He always wants to come to me with stuff ... and it really pushes me. He always quotes scripture to me and reminds me that God loves me. As simple as that sounds ... its necessary! He and I have maintained our friendship through the years and every once in a while ill get a prayer in my inbox from Riley! I am extremely thankful to be a part of his life, he has no idea how much he means to me! He actually writes lyrics and screams ... next band im in will be having guest vo-kills from Mr. Riley Stocks. Don't rule people out because of their situations. Riley has taught me that situations do not define us! In fact, they do not.

"For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God"-1 Corinthians 1:26-29


I urge you, friends, to never compare yourselves to anyone other than God ... thats a great way to see yourselves on a even keel. Remember, the ones you may write off could in fact impact your life more than the people you think are worthy of your time.


Its only fitting that I end this rant the same way Riley ends all of his letters.


"Peace, love, and hair grease brother."
 
I love you, Riley! Thank you for showing me God's presence within you and leaving me no room to boast.

No comments:

Post a Comment