Sunday, January 2, 2011

Reality is pretty relative, right?

Reality: a quality or state of being real; and real event, entity, or state of affair.


I think it is pretty obvious that people will and do perceive reality to be a vast majority of things. The problem with this is that while the reality is that people hold many perspectives only one finalized reality can be true. In fact, many will argue that our perception of reality is a geographically charged virtue and in this vein of processing we can see how quickly an individuals say so can be demoted in light of there geographical placement. Ultimately this is the by product of a prior mindset that is biased to any sort of dialogue concerning truth because all of us are from somewhere geographically, and in the minds of such thinkers, this is below them to entertain such variables in light of their intellectually charged processing of reality. This is, to say the least, a reality we have to be aware of in light of such a topic as reality.


I often wonder how much of what people say, and also support, is indeed a reflection of what they believe is reality. Now, this point can be argued in both ways and to each end it will ultimately affirm itself in so doing. If our assumption is "Yes, what these people say and do is a reflection of what they believe is reality!" we can, and will, most likely, then assert that this is true on the basis that in the mind of the individual they are in fact verbalizing and supporting what they believe is the truth, and this has to remain the decent assumption unless this individual were to write their own statement of faith to which we could parallel all of their actions and words with. At this point the person can live in accordance to their theological assumptions, and convictions. The problem here is that we lack the ability to know for certain, as outsiders, what exactly those assumptions and convictions exactly are. Maybe "ability" isn't the right word to use in this context because knowing a person and what they believe is possible but as mere passers-by we find ourselves wondering all the same! Again, if we find ourselves saying "No, what these people say and do is not a reflection of what they believe is reality!" then we have generalized them with their comrades and have demoted them by comparison, which is always dangerous business. Without a statement of faith from the individual we are merely stereotyping and judging. Though there is a difference between making a judgement call and judging the individual, usually we see the latter. So, in this instance the affirming reality is that they are not living in accordance to what they say and support by the standards of our perception of their reality. People feed off of their perception of reality. This is what I have dubbed as "personal reality"


The truth of the matter, though it is always debatable, is that some people do and some people don't. The problem I see with society is that we look at a group of people who believe this or that and, if not automatically, but gradually, though ultimately, eventually, demote the testimony, both in word and in action, of an obedient adherent in parallel to the fruits of a disobedient adherent. We are all testifying with our words and our actions what we truly believe. The real thing I think we need to learn is that while we have perceived life and we know that life is surreal we also have to do something very challenging and that is that we have to separate "personal reality" from "ultimate reality" in order to see where the 2 differ. After we have done this we are more apt to align ourselves with the ultimate reality. Often times I think we see people who allow the ultimate reality to become shadowed in our personal desires. The reality in that is that while we started off making our own choices, our choices begin to make us. 


So as I relate the "relativity of the quality of my state of existence and affairs" to my relationship with God I find myself puzzled to a certain degree. Mainly, that at times this reality is so tangible that it leaves me utterly changed, viewing the world through a whole new lens and being terribly vexed by the state of things, and then at other times its as if I find myself numb to the reality(God) that previously left me transformed in my mind, my soul, and my actions. I know for many people they will respond to God emotionally. I am not apposed to emotional responses but I am opposed to the emotional response being the only responding that one does with God, and I am opposed to emotions being the foundation for truth. I think in this we find a major err in human to human, and human to God response. Often times we let our emotions blur our vision and we start to parallel the way someone would do something with the way another person would do something strictly because of the way the 2 encounters made us feel. We tend to forget that we need to take into consideration the individuality of the individuals without comparing them to other ... such is the case with God. We need to let God be God and not try to fashion him into something we are more comfortable with. I am noticing that more and more people are basing their theology on the basis of their emotions. Rather, they will believe only what they are comfortable with. The big problem in that is that we are proud and arrogant people and we often reject the ideas of God that hold us in a different light other than God's love, grace, and compassion ... or rather, how we perceive such virtues in relationship to God.


I think the most confusing thing for me to perceive through all of this is the variations in transformation amongst individuals, in my town, in other states, and on different continents. Why is this brush with reality so different for different people? I think for me it has been so surreal for a few different reasons but I will emphasis 2.


1.) I have seen both sides of the coin. When I say that there are 2 sides to this relative coin I mean that before I enjoyed fellowship with God, searching, listening, praying, obeying etc. I was living a life style engulfed is an atmosphere of sin. I saw the darkest sides people. I saw pure hate spring up in people to the point that they wanted to take another persons life and even put that plan into motion a few times. I have seen addictions that have disabled people, I have seen a lack of discernment completely engulfed in the life they were leading to the point that I wasn't even sure if they even knew that they were not remotely the same person as before. Watching people lose their grip on reality deeply betrothed me. This was the main push for me in my decision to take God seriously. It was not determined on the grounds of fear or simply bleeding in with my the demographic I was surrounded. Rather, this fusing of degressive decision making, how it altered an individuals mind and perception, and ultimately lead them to a dark place was ultimately what sent me over the edge and eagerly seeking truth though I did not know where that would take me. Fortunately, because of the evangelized state of the region I live in I did not have to look very far. Most people who credit living in the "Bible Belt" as a bad thing but rather, in the big scheme of things, I am becoming more and more aware that such a reason is, at the core, what God desires for the whole world; that anyone who would seek Him would be at arms length! This whole journey is not over yet, I am still finding out who God is, and who God is not. Because of the passivity of some many people who have looked to other christians to set the standard for holiness and righteousness we now have a complacent group of people who call themselves the church ... but this is not what followers of Christ look like. Again this is where the personal reality has overshadowed the ultimate reality. Also, again, we cannot parallel all of these people with their personal statements of faith (unless they have one), because there are so many different POV's of scripture. However, the one thing we can do is parallel people in light of Jesus. (thank you Greg Boyd for hammering this truth into my head)


2- My road to God was paved in grace totally, I will not deny that even though I resisted it for many years. However, it was as much an intellectual spiritual battle for me as it was a fight against grace because I am such a broad, logical thinker. There were times where, through my pursuit of truth, I would get puffed up with confidence that this was THE truth. Other times I would get an unsettling stomach and my mind would run in a crazy philosophical direction. Through all of this God was really painting a picture for me of who He really IS! He refused to settle for my input on who He should be and how He should do things. He is eternal, and I am finite. Had I decided to fashion a deity of my own making it would not have been this difficult. 


I have had run-ins with people all my life but more recently concerning my world-view. The biggest point of tension is that people will view me in light of their "personal reality", or  they will parallel me with other people of the same world-view that they have had rendezvous with. They view life and all things through their own eyes and then begin to attempt to mold me to the ways in which they see most acceptable (this is also true of my christian community). The problem with this is that I have about 2 dozen people trying to mold me into 24 different things and intellectually this is perplexing for me. Personally I am thankful for my perception of reality even though at times its almost unbearable. I say that in the most sincere way possible. 


"For in much wisdom is much vexation, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18


What we all need is a higher vision, a stronger dose of reality. 


"these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. For who knows a person's thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God.'-1 Corinthians 2:10-12


We need to enjoy a fresh perspective, that of God! We need to stop responding in accordance to how others have responded and start working along side the Holy Spirit. I think The Talmud has a very interesting bit of truth to it. Maybe the reality is that you actually perceive others in light of your own reality vicariously through them? I wont say that this is bulletproof but I will say that in most cases I can see where this has been a real issue.

 "We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are."







No comments:

Post a Comment